Wednesday 20 March 2013

Social Spaces

Social spaces (or if you like spaces of interaction) were a prominent topic in our recent meeting, picking up from that I though it would be good to share some interesting social spaces.

Let start with the space that Sam mentioned that was created by Cyprien Gaillard (via Colossal)

The Recovery of Discovery by Cyprien Gaillard: A 72,000 bottle pyramid of beer performance art installation beer alcohol

The Recovery of Discovery by Cyprien Gaillard: A 72,000 bottle pyramid of beer performance art installation beer alcohol

The Recovery of Discovery by Cyprien Gaillard: A 72,000 bottle pyramid of beer performance art installation beer alcohol

I think there is a real neatness to this idea, it somewhat challenges the normal relationship that often occurs between the gallery visitor and the art object. It is pretty much a social object.

I find the fact that people had to sign a waiver before being able to interact with the object interesting too;
After signing a waiver participants are free to climb, open, and consume as many bottles of “Efes” beer as they desire
I briefly mentioned DUS architects at the meeting, this firm have created a few really interesting social spaces in one way or another.

Below is the project I mentioned, Amsterdam Pavilion. As you will more than likely notice it is a building made of wine boxes. The occupants would drink the building to a certain extent.




Another DUS construction (a particular favourite of mine) is the Bucky Bar


On Friday evening Feb. 19th the illegal appearance of the Bucky Bar led to a spontaneous street party in wintertime. The dome bar made entirely of umbrellas, seemed to appear suddenly out of nowhere around a lamppost in the centre of Rotterdam. The fully equipped bar, complete with DJ and drinks, was built directly on site. Approximately 300 visitors danced despite the cold under the umbrella roof, until at 2:00am when the police ended the party, as there was no permit.
This was created in collaboration with the NAi Studio for Unsolicited Architecture. If you want to read more about unsolicited architecture read this



Moving away form the more party spaces DUS created a project called City Eyes. As stated on the page for the project this work 'addresses the border between the private and public domain'. I think work like this would be interesting when applied to institutions such as galleries. Galleries often call themselves public but due to certain social barriers fail to reach beyond a certain audience. It could be interesting to try and work with that barrier in some way.



This is an area of particular interest for me and I could go on significantly further. For now I will leave this here rather than bombarding you all with a huge information dump. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Fantastic post. So much to research, I'll definitely have a look at the unsolicited architecture link(s) when I can.

    I'm interested in behaviour patterns & how spaces denote expected behaviour & how our perception of this steers reaction. I'm particularly interested in functional transitional spaces, public transport, lifts, corridors etc. I have a few performative & staging ideas surrounding this, which loosely relate to my forays into Superfiction but for now, that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the behaviour patterns interesting. I tend to talk about Structure (occasionally referred to as architecture) and interaction. I see everything as being an elaborate network of interacting structures. I like the idea of creating composite structures with a view to bringing about alternative interactions. For instance the person plus the skateboard would be a composite and this composite structure interacts with other structures in alternative ways.

    I am working on a project that will create a simple composite. Stairwell + Projector = Stairwell Cinema.

    ReplyDelete